Just thought I would post some more details on this tank as I’ve received a few emails about it.
You can see a video of the tank on our portfolio page:
The initial brief for this marine aquarium was that the client wanted a large number of fish and corals. Also the aqua-scape was to take inspiration from the Alien movies.
To fulfill this, we gradually stocked the tank with 35 small and large reef fish. Because of the high number of fish and the increased bio-load this creates we have used mainly soft corals. The aqua-scape is created using approximately 200kgs of Fiji live rock and 5 artificial rock pieces.
This 2 year old system was built on-site in the clients home, London. Its supported by a powder coated steel frame which gives a great amount of space for all the necessary filtration and more importantly gives us access to maintain this equipment.
The system is maintained by ourselves via two visits per month and remotely monitored 24 hours per day. Our services include all aspects of cleaning as well as water changing and testing. This leaves our client the only other job left - feeding the fish!
As you can probably tell from the video/photos, this clients house is pretty spectacular. The above photo shows the 2 main doors used for accessing the sump filter. The two tall slim panels either side of these also open as well as the top lid. All these panels have been stitched and finished in ostrich skin.
To give a clean finish to the kitchen side of the tank there are no access panels.
This reef aquariums technical specification is as follows:
- Tank - 84”Long x 33”wide x 34”high built in 15mm bevelled edged glass with Ultra clear Optiwhite front and rear panes. Hidden weirs built into both sides of the tank
- Glass sump filter with refugium, water change and top up tank
- Total water volume circa 380 gallon / 1700 litres
- Lighting - 12 x Aquabeam 1000HD, 3 x Aquaray 600 duo marine blue
- In tank water flow (built into sides of tank) - 2 x Tunze turbelle stream 6085, 1 x Tunze turbelle stream 6105 and 1 x Ecotech MP60.
- Filtration - 2 x Eheim 5000 sump pumps, 1 x Chippypah bio pearl reactor, 1 x Deltec 2560 protein skimmer, 1 x Aquamedic Multi 1000 skimmer with ozone injection, 1 x 110watt UV Steriliser, 1 x 500watt Titanium heater, 1 x Teco TR20 chiller (located in garage), 1 x Aquatronica controller with SMS module and probes for Salinity, ORP, PH and Temperature.
Possible future upgrades:
- Change existing lighting to more powerful LED’s
- Upgrade sump pump so we can run more equipment from it. This would minimise the total number of pumps being used and reduce latent heat and power consumption.
If you have any questions regarding this tank or general reef keeping please get it touch.
We will be regularly posting more updates on new installations and current tanks.
Happy Fish keeping!